I’m awash with adverts lately and I have another to share from 1948. This is a Philips electrical advertisement featuring an illustration of a magnified black cat standing over the English channel.
This Philips electrical advertisement describes how an electron microscope could magnify a cat to such an extent, that it could stand astride the English channel, with its paws in France and its hind legs in England. This is a convoluted way to show that Philips has made a valuable contribution in the development in such powerful apparatus.
This is an original scan of the advert:
This is my re-touched cleaner version:
- The Philips Company was founded in 1891, by Dutchman Gerard Philips (1858-1942) and his father Frederik.
- in 1892 the company began production of carbon-filament lamps and other products in a factory that Frederick set up in Eindhoven, south Netherlands.
- In 1927, Philips began producing radios.
- In 1933 Philips started production of medical X-ray equipment in the United States.
- in 1938 Philips showcased its first television at the Annual Fair in Utrecht, central Netherlands.
- in 1939 Philips launched the rotary electric shaver, the Philishave.
I found an interesting documentary about the heritage of Philips with a lot of black and white film footage:
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £223.45Was: £299.00
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Electric Toothbrush - Pink Edition 3rd Generation (UK 2-pin bathroom plug)Price: £135.00Was: £299.00
Price: £294.99Was: £575.00
Price: £22.99Was: £34.50